Be happy if you can, but it would seem excessively chirpy for DH to be skipping around wishing a Happy Smiley New Year to the:
- 1,100,000 Australian families in housing stress (ie paying more than 1/3 of gross income on housing)
- 100,000 homeless
- 175,000 on public housing waiting lists
- 49,000 on community housing waiting lists
- 10,000 on Aboriginal housing waiting lists *
Unfortunately you can't reverse 10 years' neglect in one. But Labor has given it a game effort via the National Rental Affordability Scheme, which subsidises developers prepared to offer homes at 20% below market rent.
And they have committed $5.6 billion to the Nation Building Stimulus Plan (Housing) which is expected to deliver 19,600 new homes, of which 10,000 were completed by Xmas 2010.
So a big HAPPY NEW YEAR to the 10,000 lucky ones, and chin up to the rest!
Credit should also go to Housing NSW for turning around on a pinhead, and pushing through the Federal government's stringent and high pressure, use-it-or-lose-it demands. It's been a tough year and you can't entirely blame nimbyism for opposition to construction without time for prior consultation.
* The data refers to all Australia, rounded to the nearest 1,000, cited in Shelter NSW Housing Australia fact sheet. Based on the 2006 census or later depending on availability. Check the link for accurate years.